Re: TR4 Carpet

To: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Carpet
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 08:28:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dennis,

I have a Moss nylon loop curl carpet in my TR3B. I rationalized going the
cheap route (not buying the cut pile) because I've read all TR3B's all came
with vinahyde seats and loop carpets. I am less than impressed with the
carpet.

First, and most annoying is the gearbox hump. Where the carpet bends around
the gearbox cover, the loops are pulled apart, so you can plainly see the
carpet's base material. This is the carpet's most visible location, and it
really does not look good. In this location, this in not a wear issue, it
is simply the density of loops is not high enough to provide a good fill
when the carpet is formed to the gearbox cover.

Secondly, the carpet is not wearing well at all. It has been in two
seasons, probably about 4000 miles. The footwell areas are really showing a
lot of wear. I really should use floormats but I don't like them sliding
around constantly.

I have kept my car very original, but when this carpet wears out I am going
for a good quality cut pile carpet set. I think the look and wearability of
this nylon loop stuff is really cheezy.

As always, YMMV.