Re: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.

To: <jaltman@altlaw.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.
From: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 98 22:49:36 -0000
Jim--

I just finished this job yesterday on my 76, and it was much easier
(relatively) than I was expecting.  I went with TRF HD springs, which
raise the rear end about an inch, nylatron trailing arm bushings (I
installed grease fittings, as the Good Parts instructions recommend), HD
Apple lever shock rebuilds and new links.  Removing the half shafts was
really not a big deal, although getting at the bolts on the inner flanges
is difficult (you need thin box ends or open ends).  I also replaced the
rubber boots while I was in there and used new nylock nuts everywhere.

I would starve to death trying to make a living as a mechanic--I just
follow directions and found the Bentley manual to be invaluable.  It took
an afternoon to tear it all off (with the help of a friend) and I spent a
marathon 13-hour day putting it all back together by myself.  Mine's not
a daily driver, but--like you--I was apprehensive about too stiff a ride.
 Well, we took it out tonight for a test and I LOVE it.  Cornering is
firm and flat, rear end doesn't burrow down on acceleration and the ride
is surprisingly jolt-free.  Toe in and camber will need to be adjusted a
bit.  I plan to take basically the same approach with the front (HD
springs & shocks and nylatron, etc).  Somewhere on the VTR maintenance
page, Roger C. Bolick (to whom I owe much) has a concise explanation of
how to press out the trailing arm bushings using a C-clamp and 1 1/2" pvc
pipe that works like a charm.

Good luck!

Ian CF57345U