69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:48:33 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, all I really have left to do is the rear suspension.  My 69 6 is a
daily driver.  I would like to confirm my prejudices and seek
recommendations.

1) stock springs or something stiffer? As a daily driver I am not interested
making the suspension any harder than it has to be.  On the other hand I
don't really like the rear end sag on acceleration.

2) what kind of bushings for the trailing arm? rubber are probably softer
and lead to a softer ride but wear out better and faster.  Urethane (sp?)
harder and longer lasting.  One factor to consider is that I have be able to
put them with my C Clamp and assorted sockets as a press.

3) I've heard I can use about anything as fluid in the shocks.  Thicker
leads to stiff, thinner to less stiff.  I am willing to give the old shocks
a shot and replace them later if needed.  Fluid recommendations?  Gear Oil?
10W30?

I already have new u-joints on the rear shafts.  Anything else I ought to do
while I am there?  I presume I should put in the rubber bump and rebound
stops as well as any other rubber.

Is it really necessary to remove the rear shafts if don't really remove the
trailing arm to replace the bushings, or is that folly and I should really
take it out?

Well, how's that for a bunch of questions. I must pause a moment to say, the
interior renovation is complete, its got a brand new paint job, the engine
is running great. Can life get any better?

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK