Re: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.

To: jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.
From: Andy <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by idalee.loudoun.com
On 08/31/98 07:48 PM jaltman@altlaw.com said...
>3) I've heard I can use about anything as fluid in the shocks.  Thicker
>leads to stiff, thinner to less stiff.  I am willing to give the old shocks
>a shot and replace them later if needed.  Fluid recommendations?  Gear
Oil?
>10W30?

A recent 6-Pack article talked about increasing the stiffness of the shocks.
You might want to read that and the grass roots article that it refers to.

>Is it really necessary to remove the rear shafts if don't really remove the
>trailing arm to replace the bushings, or is that folly and I should really
>take it out?

I took Len Renkenberger's advice and put zerk fittings in the hubs. Drilled
'em and tapped 'em and greased 'em good. Also drilled and tapped the
differential for a drain plug too (removed the rear cover to make sure I didn't
mess things up too bad).

Just my $0.02; Your willingness to risk ruin may not be as great as mine.
Andy D.