RE: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'jaltman@altlaw.com'" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: RE: 69 6 Rear suspension rebuild time.
From: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@Kollmorgen.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:40:42 -0400
        Jim...here's my $.02 worth...----------

> 1) stock springs or something stiffer? As a daily driver I am not
> interested
> making the suspension any harder than it has to be.  On the other hand
> don't really like the rear end sag on acceleration.

        I put in the stiffer "performance" coil springs 15 years ago.
My TR6 is a semi-daily driver in the summer and I really can't tell any
difference in the ride.  It does accelerate up through the gears better
tho.  I really like the lack of squat when I get on it

> 2) what kind of bushings for the trailing arm? rubber are probably
> softer
> and lead to a softer ride but wear out better and faster.  Urethane
> (sp?)
> harder and longer lasting.  One factor to consider is that I have be
> able to
> put them with my C Clamp and assorted sockets as a press.

        I put recently put in the two piece nythene (sp?) bushings.  Not
too hard to get in.  But I really can't tell any difference in the ride.

> I already have new u-joints on the rear shafts.  Anything else I ought
> to do
> while I am there?  I presume I should put in the rubber bump and
> rebound
> stops as well as any other rubber.

        I put in new bellows and dust covers on the half shafts.  Also
replace the insulators that ate on both ends of each coil spring

> Is it really necessary to remove the rear shafts if don't really
> remove the
> trailing arm to replace the bushings, or is that folly and I should
> really
> take it out?

        I removed the rear shafts and took the trailing arms off the
car.  Removing the rear shafts is a piece of cake.  My old bushings were
the one piece original rubber ones.  I don't think I could have pushed
them out w/o removing the arm.

        by for now

        Tom Long

        64TR4