Re: TR3 tie rod end snafu

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 tie rod end snafu
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:07:25 -0700
Hi Gezzer;
        Short of a tie rod end press,.......(you can rent one from power
rents).
If you can get a clear swing at it, a 2lb hammer will work. NO not on the
thread end! Loosen the nut that holds the taper, and then bang on the
housing where the taper goes. IOW, you hit the housing normal (to use a
math term) to the taper axis.And I don't mean a tap eather. The guy who
showed me this was a big guy, and he used a lot of force. Evidently, the
shock of the hammerblow is enough to rattle the tapers right out. It's
worked for me many times, but use your own judgement with regard to
damaging anything else. The trick soloution, from my perspective, is to use
the special tie rod press made for a Volvo 120/140/160 (gee can you guess
what brand of car my shop specialized in?) They have the same limited
access, and it works great, but I havent tried it on a TR3 yet.