Re: TR3 tie rod end snafu

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 tie rod end snafu
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:59:16 -0700
Great terminology Alan!
        Once women learned that I wasn't got to talk down to them in MY shop,
they
quit sending thier male counterparts (who never drove the car) in to try
and discribe the problem. So there she and I would be trying to imitate the
sound of the problem, and trying comunicate in non technical terms. I'd
keep making sounds until she said"that's it!" or she cracked up laughing.
Anyway, cups spoons ,saucers, and clothespins sound OK to me.
My Volvo tool is the clothes pin type. It has proven a godsend on about 20
different makes from Alfa to BMW to Volvo. Cost is $100, but next time i
would just make one.If listers are interested in a triumph specific tool, I
might be interested in making them if a dozen or so people want them. est.
cost would be about 1/2 the Volvo tool. I'm sure I can make it universal
enough to fit any TR.The cup ,or "c" shaped type tool that you describe is
very stong, but bulky. I'm not sure it would fit on the inner rod ends of
the TR3.
BTW, the pickle type tools are VERY effective, but they must be sized
correctly to the joint. The "gape" needs to be only about 25% larger the
the taper shaft and the best ones attach to your Snap On air hammer! they
allways destroy the boot, so I hardly ever use mine. I've replaced hundreds
of ruined ball joints that two years earlier had been "Les Schawabed" when
the person couldn't resist the good deal they were offering on new struts.
They would tear the boots, and two years of Oregon winters(rain,rain,rain
and more rain) would ruin the joint.

Don Boyd