Re: TR6: Handling bug or personality?

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6: Handling bug or personality?
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 98 8:10:51 -0600
 The first time I saw the CV axles, they were being produced and sold
through "S&G Barret". A parts supplier and manufacturer for Jaguars and
Stags and other IRS Triumphs. They advertised in "Triumph World" and
"Classic & Sports Car" that I know of. The last I heard though, they
dropped the Triumph side of the business and stuck with Jaguar. That is
probably when "Rimmer Bros." picked up the CV axles. This is the first time
I've seen the "Hardy Spicer" name mentioned with these products though.

Shawn Loseke
-------------
Original Text
From: "Egil Kvaleberg" <egil@kvaleberg.no>, on 8/25/98 11:18 PM:
On 25 Aug 1998, Chris Lillja wrote:

> It's fixable by taking
> apart the halfshafts and lubing the splines with a good quality grease.

Liberal amounts of molybdene-based grease can make a big difference, yes.
Renewing the bushes seems to help, also. Good dampers won't hurt, either.
You can't get rid of the spline lock entirely in this fashion, but at
least you make it less pronounced and also more manageable.

> Rimmer Bros. makes CV joint type axles to replace the originals (which
totally cures
> this problem forever or about 100ki mi, whichever comes first).... at
about $600 EACH
> (owch).

The CV joints are made by Hardy Spicer.

Another, cheaper, option is to replace the half shafts with with linear
bearings axles from a Datsun. Some remachining is required.  I'm not sure
if they'll fit the TR6 (I seem to recall that they have shorter axle
shafts?), but this is commonly done on the saloons.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway