Re: TR6: Handling bug or personality?

To: triumph@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6: Handling bug or personality?
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:15:50 EST5EDT
Shane,

My TR4A doesn't do that -- but then again, I might not drive as hard as you do.

I'd say the rubber bushings are definitely on their way out after 24 years.
Mine are
too-- they show it by power on, pull right, power off, pull left. Then again,
in the
latest VTR mag, an original road test of the TR250 mentioned the same behavior!
I have
nylon bushings to try out when I can....

Your symptoms sound like "spline lock". That is when the sliding splines of the
half
shafts are under high torque loading, they don't slide anymore! It's fixable by
taking
apart the halfshafts and lubing the splines with a good quality grease.

Rimmer Bros. makes CV joint type axles to replace the originals (which totally
cures
this problem forever or about 100ki mi, whichever comes first).... at about
$600 EACH
(owch).

Hey, I'd go with the grease, first...

Chris Lillja