Re: Brakes

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:27:23 -0700
Cc: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>, "Hassan, Erkan" <hassan@pharmacy.ab.umd.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I have a TSV (Triumph Support Vehicle) that eats rotors for lunch. I'm
on my 3rd set in 5 years (no, it's not my driving style).

I have several times replaced one or the other disk on this and other
caeds, but not both. When I do that I make a point of taking both the
new and the old down to my local machinist & having them trued up. It
costs $10-15 ea. in overpriced Silicon Valley and is done while I wait.

The manuals tell you this is okay, as the pads adjust themselves to
equalize for differing thicknesses of the rotors. In fact, with disks
it's ok to use a disk with some minor scoring in it (unlike drum
brakes), as the pads will wear to conform with the disk , so long as the
disk is not out of  true.

On the subject of pad replacement, IMHO they shoul only be replaced in
full sets, as they wear much more quickly than rotors. I've had one
disintegrate completely when exiting the freeway (the TSV mentioned
above), although more than double the tolerable thickness.

Alan Myers

--
MZ