RE: Brakes

To: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: Brakes
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:39:53 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

I disagree. TO be within specification does not necessarily mean it is
good. What you can do is turn the brake discs off if they are within
specification, but again you will have to turn off both. SPecification
is aminumum thickness requirement. Should there be grooves of whatever
depth in the disc, the braking is affected, the bedding in time is
different, the friction is different, the effective braking area is
different. If you don't believe me,  get your brakes checked on a stand,
change one disc against a new one and check again. You will have
different values. It need'nt necessarily be that different that the car
will pull to one side in normal circumstances, but imagine yourself
drivng on a surface like ice or water and any difference will work
against you.
Now, this doesn't mean you can not do whatever you want, but it means if
your dealer changes only one disc, the car gets involved in an accident
and I can prove the brake values are different for either sides, the
dealer will be f*****. This might happen to you as a private person as
well, so there is a certain legal aspect involved as  well. Just don't
say you haven't been warned.

Sorry for the rambling and the long mail.
Did I say I worked as an accident investigator? No? OK, I have a break
of another year, so you might be safe.
Gernot