Re: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)

To: Charles Ackerman <C2H60_@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 11:19:16 -0600
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com, triumphs_list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Charles Ackerman wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm no expert either
> but I agree
> I have autocross (practice / non-professional) and I have (they suggest)
> increasing tire pressure
> I thought this had something to do with keeping the tires from coming off
> the rim
> in the corners
> I'm not sure about that though

If I recall Kastner's remarks on tires (regarding SCCA racing), it went
something like: "Pump them up to about 40-45 psi cold.  If they feel too loose,
you aren't going fast enough." <g> I suppose the general wisdom is that the
faster one goes, the more cornering force there is, and all the tire has to
resist that cornering force is sidewall flexure, or to slip. More air would put
more pressure on the bead, holding it in place more firmly, which is a necessity
in hard cornering, but increased pressure also must have something to do with
flexure of the tire during cornering.

Cheers.