Re: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)

To: gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:19:31 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-15 14:52:02 EDT, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk writes:

> while I agree with the thread on pressures, I disagree with the
>  improvement in handling due to higher tyre pressure. Typically the
>  improvement is a lower pressure. Higher pressure will give you a better
>  fuel economy when you drive on motorways where you don't expect much
>  cornering etc. If you want better handling, you will find that dropping
>  the pressure by about 5 psi below the recommendet setting will improve
>  matters. However, that depends on the individual tyre make due to
>  different grip and wear qualities.

Gernot,

I'm no expert (not even close), but according to Fred Puhn, author of the book
"How to Make Your Car Handle," higher pressure will improve handling. I quote
from the caption to figure 4, page 19:

"Notice that you lose more by a small amount of underinflation than a small
amount of overinflation. When in doubt, increase the pressure before you try
decreasing it."

Figure 4 is a diagram plotting grip vs pressure. Grip drops off much more
sharply on the low pressure side of the curve than on the high pressure side,
using optimum pressure as a reference.

In the few years I hung out with the SCCA showroom stock racers (as a
photographer for a local TV station), I was amazed at the high pressures they
used - often in excess of 45 psi, all on street tires.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74