RE: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)

To: "'Charles Ackerman'" <C2H60_@email.msn.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Tires and Tire Pressure (kinda winded)
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:53:43 +0100
Cc: triumphs_list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
right, but autocross is a different kettle of fish to road
racing/driving.
The point is this to give a practical examp[le. I have been running a
rear tyre pressure of 25 psi (on a Marcos) The result was a very nervous
rear end. (note manufacturers maximum pressure is 34 psi) If you now
increase the pressure according to what you folks say, the rear end
breaks out even faster. Now I lowered the pressure to 20 psi with the
result that I now have a nice and steady rear end.
In autocross you also want slim tyres (if I'm not mistaken) and not wide
tyres whereas in racing you want wide tyres exept in rain, different
conditions, different solutions. As to the fridge thing, apart from
anything else, I suppose the friction of a bit of plywood is much lower
than the one of the rubber fridge feet eh?

Gernot