Re: PAINT

Subject: Re: PAINT
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:11:28 -0400
Joe,
Consider keeping your paint technology dialog on the list.   There is not a
single LBC that does not use that technology.   As I start this car project,
paint is one of
those early decision point hurdles that must be conquered. In this case there
isn't any good paint on the car, it all has to come off.  I've been web surfing
the paint
pages trying to figure out what system to use.  It looks like the brand
decision is going to come down to most convenient local supplier that has the
features I decide
on.   The search has been interesting,  particularly on the topic of epoxies.
The people that have used it like the protection, those that have not, don't
think it's
necessary because of expense.  I had used an epoxy paint on a boat years ago
and loved the results, so I am leaning toward those primers.

The search has identified that there is more to paint then two cans and a
brush.  Your profession (or if you prefer Art) seems to involve evolving
strategies of layering of
multiple products.  Rust prevention steps pre-primer play an important role and
seem to represent newer technology.  It is my impression that it takes quite a
bit of effort
to master the newest  combination of products a specific vendor offers. Like
most changes in technology, some pieces won't be accepted as safe until they've
been in the
market 10 years, so the dialog can be confusing to those of us that are
novices.  In my opinion there's room for active dialog as well as VTR reference
pages on the latest
in paint.

Most of what I've found have been vendor product pages which are more
specification oriented.  Are you aware of any  good books or web sites that are
application tips
oriented?  Im still up in the air on DIY or having it done, fear will be the
decision catalyst.  Progress on the car will create a must decide point.

Jack McCarrick
'60 TR3A