PAINT

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: PAINT
From: fergie@ntplx.net
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:13:02 -0700
I'm considering a DIY paint job and have a few questions.

Assuming the present paint is solid (no rust, parking lot dents only),
can I apply lacquer over enamel?

Should I prime over the enamel first or will sanding be sufficient?

If I fill the dents with Bondo (groan), do I need to remove all old
paint, then Bondo, or can I apply Bondo over the old (sanded) paint? (If
anyone has a better suggestion than Bondo, I'm all ears!)

Is there anything I can spray over the finished Bondo (before the
primer) to better determine if I've done an adequate job with the
patching before I apply the primer?

What are the drawbacks of driving a car with exposed Bondo or, for that
matter, with primered Bondo? I ask this (probably stupid) question
because I'm trying to keep the car on the road as much as possible while
I'm doing the body work.

Is a standard compressor setup recommended or should I consider a HVLP
unit? I've heard good things about HVLP (mostly, less paint required and
fewer paint fumes to deal with), but don't know if the job will come out
better with a conventional compressor.\

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that's about it for now.
Thanks everyone! As always, any suggestions will be most appreciated!!

Michael Ferguson
Vernon, CT