Re: PAINT

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PAINT
From: LBPB1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:34:30 EDT
Cc: Lbpb2@aol.com
 I used to restore MGs, Triumphs, etc. for a local shop for about 7 years and
did much of thier body work during that time. I would recommend that you not
use laquer, but consider a urathane based paint as it is much more durable and
much less labor intensive in it's application.  Plastic filler (bondo) can be
applied over paint provided it is adhering well to the car.  A good sealer
such as Velva Seal by Dupont can be applied over the bondo to prevent moisture
from soaking into the filler.  It is available in gray or red which is a
consideration in terms of your color choice in paint, however a sealer will
absorb moisture after a certain period of time, so it is best to do body work
as close to the time that you plan to paint your car.  Bear in mind that
laquers and their solvents are very volatile and have a tendancy to weaken
layers of enamel or urethanes from old paint jobs so a sealer may be necessary
over the entire surface of the car or it may be better to completely strip the
old paint from the surface and seal and repair and paint from that point.
Urathanes and enamels are much more stable and less likely to weaken old paint
to the point of peeling. Consult a local paint supply store for the
requirements and be careful when using activated paints as they can be very
hazerdous to your health.  WEAR A RESPIRATOR PLEASE, WHEN PAINTING (the
overspray can coat your lungs and suffocate you).  Good luck with your spray
job.  If you have any questions, let me know.

PLB3