Re: generator/alternator

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 09:58:23 -0700
Cc: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Phil Barnes <peb3@cornell.edu>
Phil said, "We also used
> an undersize pulley so it didn't run as fast. During competition you rarely
> use all the lights simultaneously."

This to me, implied that they did something to make it run slower...hence I
thought they put a smaller pulley on the crank...

And I couldn't picture a smaller pulley on our generators.... (it's already
small and unless you changed to a smaller belt, I doubt the belt could handle
it)...

I've always been confused by this...  It would seem to me... that the amount of
drag on the motor caused by a generator running normally or slower would be a
somewhat minimal improvement...  and I'd rather have confidence that my battery
is going to remain charged... (while idling in the pits, at the start, etc..)
than to have a tiny climb in available horsepower...

It made sense to me to buy a belt conversion from TriumphTune... that enables
you to use the smaller modern type belt with a smaller pulley on the
generator....    hence less drag, and a faster running generator (red light is
less likely to come on!)...

but I'll admit to some confusion here....  what was meant by Phil's comment?

--Justin