Re: generator/alternator

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 19:19:58 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-08 17:47:56 EDT, ARhodes@compuserve.com writes:

> You'd think that the solenoid would be buzzing like a door chime, but
>  I bet that the generator windings act like an inductor and the field
>  resists collapse, so the voltage takes on a somewhat smoother
>  waveform.  I wonder how fast the regulator opens and closes?
>
>  I know that there are 2 or 3 solenoids in British regulators.  I wonder
>  what they are for.  One is for regulator, the other is for "cut-out".  I
>  do not know how those two functions are related.  Dan, are you out
>  there?
>
>  I am about to refer myself to the VTR web site.  If there is nothing
>  on the theory and repair of the voltage regulator, please
>  write a treatise for us, Dan!  Or, If I gain enough expertise, I will do
>  it myself!

Tony,

Yup, I'm here!  About 5 minutes ago, I posted a very brief treatise on the
operation of the regulator. You should have it by the time you get this.

Yes, the regulator relays do buzz like a door chime!  the output of the
gemerator is somewhat smoothed by the inductance, etc, but it is still not a
pure DC, as we would like to think of it.

As a matter of fact, when the solid state regulators were designed for the
new-fangled alternators, the design concepts of the old generator regulators
was copied, and the solid state devices turn on and off just as the old relays
did. I would hope that by now the newer cars use a better type of regulation,
what with the advances made in solid state devices in recent years. There is
no real reason why a good analog regulator scheme could not be used. Even so,
the output would still be pulsed DC, due to the nature of rotating machinery
used to generate the voltage.

Refer to the VTR page:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

For a better description of this.

I will add voltage regulators -mechanical type - to the list of articles I'm
trying to prepare for the VTR web page, as soon as time permits.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74