Re: generator/alternator

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 19:13:39 -0400
Cc: ARhodes@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:
> When the output voltage drops below the preset level, the cut-out relay opens,
> disconnecting the generator from the car. This is done to prevent battery
> drain through the windings of the generator.

  ...and prevents the generator from become a motor.

  A lister who shall remain anonymous has a story to tell
that I can paraphrase. On the first real drive of his
newly restored TR3, he also experienced the first
attempt at parking with a battery installed.

  This cut out relay was long seized and had never
been tested. While standing in front of the car
admiring his work, the generator started turning over
the motor via the belt, pinning him against a
firm object with no tool in hand to open the hood.

  Oh well, it only cost him a wiring harness.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/