Re: generator/alternator

To: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 20:24:42 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:DANMAS@aol.com
>That's a gross simplification, but I hope it helps.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN<

Dan,
Thanks for picking up this thread!, I appreciate it.
Thanks for the description.  I don't think you simplified it too much.  It
sounds like that is the function entirely.  The only simplification is that
the voltage relay (in the TR4 series) does not cut out the field coil
completely.  It cuts in a resistor (value not specified in the factory
manual).  I guess it tries to keep _some_ current through the
field coil for some reason. (Maybe to prevent the possibility
of the generator producing the opposite polarity voltage somehow)

The TR4 series regulator only has the voltage regulator bobbin and
cut in bobbin.  No Current bobbin.  Why is it not necessary here?
Or alternately why do some generators have to be current limited?
Internal heat?

I see why the manual says to test with a moving coil voltmeter.

Is this is contrast to moving magnet, or digital?  I suspect that
digital was not around back then.  What type of meter did they NOT
want you to use.  I still have an old (partly blown) coil meter around.
Still works for voltage.  Fried the current section though...
I use a digital most of the time, but I can see that the fluctuating
voltage would confuse it.

-Tony