Re: generator/alternator

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:09:55 -0400
Message text written by jmwagner
>It made sense to me to buy a belt conversion from TriumphTune... that
enables
you to use the smaller modern type belt with a smaller pulley on the<

I am not familiar with that conversion.  I guess that it runs a narrower
one?
Of course that will not change the output by itself.  I agree that a
moderately
faster turning generator would be better at low overall RPMs.  I guess
that the only problem might be the voltage output at higher RPMs.
If you run 10% faster, then you get about 10% higher voltage at the
same engine speed.  When you rev up, there might be a limit to
how much your voltage regulator can down regulate.

Unfortunately I do not know the exact mechanics of the voltage
regulator.  I suppose that it cuts in/cuts out windings to maintain
a certain voltage.  I guess that the field windings are varied.
Fewer windings active means less intense magnetic field
around the output windings.  This gives less voltage for a given
generator RPMs.  I suppose that the regulator can control
only a certain number of windings before the number of individual
wires to the generator becomes excessive.

To the Net, can anybody clarify specifically HOW the regulator
does its job?  I see only a few wires to the generator!

-Tony