Re: Spit U-Joint

To: "Ray Bryant" <photoray@flash.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spit U-Joint
From: "Lawrence R Zink" <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:52:54 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Ray,
You will have to remove the axle because the u-joints are pressed in.  But
first you have to press them out.  That is after you loosen up the swing
spring and disconnect the trailing arm and shock. and remove the rear
trunnion assembly.  This is so much fun.  And since you have to go to all
this trouble for one side you might as well do both and the rear bushings
also.  Hey it's already apart, and all the spots are easily accessible at
this point.  When  I did my diff replacement it was too easy to replace with
new poly bushes and all new non-rusted bolts and nuts.  The nuts are all
nylocks so it is advisable to do any way.

Now get in there and  start busting nuts loose.  If I can do it, any one
can.  You will need a set of jack stands and a good floor jack and a bench
vise to make the repairs.  Everything else is basic hand tools, 7/16, 1/2,
9/16, 5/8 and 13/16 wrenches and sockets. 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets and maybe an
impact wrench for the really stubborn and rust inflicted nuts.  Use plenty
of penetrating oil and patience.

Larry Zink
Z Group Racing and Performance
1964 Spitfire4 Mk1