Re: Spit U-Joint

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Spit U-Joint
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:53:36 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Well, actually, I have done it while under the vehicle, without removing
> the axle from the car, using a large C-clamp to remove the old, and press
> in the new u-joint.(Sorry John R., but then again I have been accused of
> coming from another planet on occasion :-})....

Barry, what did you ever do with the blankets your mom wrapped you up in
for the long rocket ride from Krypton? They'd make a nice super-hero
outfit. :-) Meanwhile, I'll guess that this "in situ" u-joint job was
done on a fairly clean, West Coast car and not a high-mileage rust-belt
car, right?

Theoretically, you can follow the example in the workshop manual and
gently tap the yokes with a mallet until the cups can be easily pulled
out with appropriate grips. In practice, though, it is usually a lot
harder than the pictures in the manual would have you believe. With
practice and willing fasteners, axle assemblies can be off the car in
30-40 minutes, and the u-joint job truly is easier "on the bench"!

--Andy