Re: TR3A in pieces

To: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A in pieces
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:17:39 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Dana,

At 06:33 AM 6/15/98 -0400, Dana & Jane Du Fresne wrote:

>I found a TR3A and was wondering if it is worth the $6500 price

That money will buy you a decent driver, should not need a whole lot to be
used as a driver, but cosmetics might be lacking.

I would be tempted to sell my TR3B for that amount. It is real solid, brand
new Moss interior, engine runs OK but needs bearings and the car needs a
respray.

>Car is apart, body off of frame and fenders off of body. Interior is out
>of car. This car is supposedly complete. I did see all the major
>components doors, seats, body tub, body panels, windshield frame and
>chrome struts, etc., but no top.

This is the scary part. Rest assured if there is anything missing, it will
be the hardest to get and the most expensive parts.

>No rot or body filler anywhere, including frame and body. Solid car.  No
>overdrive.  Chrome pieces are not pitted, but has that 30 year old look
>to it. Did not see one of the bumpers.  Interior has red leather, but
>seats need to be resewn.  Speedo shows 56K miles. Side screens are
>white, but will need to be re-clothed.  New parts such as chrome bezels,
>volt reg, ???.

You have not mentioned the drivetrain. Could be big bucks if rebuild is
necessary.

>What is the most difficult item(s) to find for a TR3 so I can check to
>see if its there?

There is a loaded question if I ever saw one! Just about everything
mechanical you can get new from The Big Three. Body parts are available as
well, but big money. It is the little detail stuff that will drive you
nuts. If you are willing to go to the big swap meets, and network like
crazy, (like me) there is nothing you can't get. Just be prepared to open
your wallet. Big time.

>Anyone know what this thing is might be worth???

My approach to valuing this abandoned project is this. What is the cost
involved to finish the car, and what will the end value be? If the body is
as sweet as you say, to do it justice you will spend at least a couple
thousand getting it painted. Then, you have the daunting task of putting it
back together. Trust me, you will want to renew every piece of rubber, all
the front end components, rebuild the seats, buy a new interior, replace
all the seals, rebuild the side curtains, etc. Then you will be faced with
the dilemmas of whether or not to buy a new wiring harness, or the steering
box _seems_ OK, but it does have a little slop. Should I rebuild it now, or
install it as is and hope for the best. Without the luxury of actually
driving the car, or at least having it in one piece, you will be torn
between saving money, and building the perfect car. Ask me how I know...

As the car is in pieces, you really have no way of assuring the drivetrain
in sound. Putting an unknown engine in a TR3 is not an advisable move, as
the apron needs to be off to allow the engine to come in and out. The front
apron removal and replacement is a surefire way to scratch your new paint
job...

All this costs lots more money. And time.

In conclusion...

It is always tough to put a value on something like this sight unseen. One
thing for sure, I couldn't see paying anything over ... say... hum... $2500
for a car in pieces.

>TIA, Dana

No problem, Dana. I would be happy to provide any additional info off-list
if you want.
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L       Driver
 TR250  CD690 L         Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L        Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L        Some Brave Soul Other Than Me
                       Will Make This A Driver!