RE: TR3A in pieces

To: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Subject: RE: TR3A in pieces
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 11:49:06 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I'll jump in here and agree that that is way too much for a car as you
described.  A decent, running driver should be found for the same or
maybe less depending on what needs to be done cosmetically.

What you have described could be nothing more than a bunch of parts that
may or may not work; may or may not be there; and may or may not get
back together again.

On the low end it is a very good parts donor; on the high end it is a
basket case worth putting some time and effort and DOLLARS into it.

If you have the 6500 - look elsewhere for a better candidate.
http://www.vtr.org/ads/ for example.  (RUNNING & DRIVABLE come to mind).
If you like this particular project for some reason.   My offer would be
in the 1,500 - 2,000 range - maybe lower.  Too many unknowns.   Don't
let your buyer's enthusiasm become buyer's remorse in 3 months.

Regards to parts availability - That is one very positive thing about a
TR.  There are the major 3 suppliers (Moss, Roadster Factory, Victoria
British - you can decide which you prefer).  There are a bunch of used
and almost new suppliers available. There is this list which if you
could find out who had what you could probably build a car from scratch.
You can find anything you need.  Price may be a factor, but you can find
it.

To check out what's there; pick up a parts catalog and thumb through it.
Look at the M,TRF,  & VB catalogs, look for the higher priced items and
see if they are present and accounted for.    But don't forget all of
the little bits.  They add up.  Could end up with a couple thou in them.

Enough for now.  G'luck.
BTW - where are you located?

        Later,
        Carl F. Musson,
                You can't tell which way the car went by just looking at
the road...
                TR3A's - TS25264L ('58 Driver) & TS81802LO - ('61
Body-off in progress)
                Tampa, Florida (USA)
                http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/