Re: Aniston Alabama

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com
Subject: Re: Aniston Alabama
From: vitesse@juno.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:44:26 -0400
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Brad,

Go for it!  I'm about 1.5 hours drive away.

You get all four distinct seasons...but not so long that you wish it was
over sooner.  The weather here in the Atlanta ( which would be about the
same in Anniston ) isn't bad....short winters, long spring/fall,
summers.....there are some days when it is really hot.   I lived in the
Philadelphia area ( growing up ) and as far as I am concerned, the
summers are about the same as we had up there, except that they were were
not as many of then up  there BUT!  that = longer Triumph driving
periods.

Anniston is about 1 hour 20 minutes from Atlanta.  You have Matthews in
Birmingham ( about an hour west of Anniston ) and Merrills which is in
Piedmont which would be almost directly north of Anniston...maybe about
30 minutes or so.  Matthews is run by the ex parts manager for the
Triumph dealer that closed in Birmingham in the 70;s.  Merrills is an
almost forgotten junkyard that has some LBCs left that have seen very
little picking action recently.

You'd have the mountains a couple hours north, plains to the south, and
two more hours to the south, the gulf.... a lot cleaner and less
populated than the Atlantic ( if you do come I'll tell you a great place
to go that hasn't gone through a growth explosion )

If you are a race fan, you have Talledega right there, Atlanta Motor
Speedway is about 2 hours away, and of course the best track in the
world, Road Atlanta,is just over 2 hours away.

There is a very active club inTuscloosa, and one in Montgomery.  There is
also the GTA...the club I belong to. Also the Chattanooga club is very
active and have a yearly show in the fall.

Let me know if I can pass on any other info....You should contact the
Chamber of Commerce also...they can let you know about the taxes, car
registration costs etc.

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA