Re: BCW adventures

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: BCW adventures
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 20:18:07 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 25 May 1998, Tom O'Malley wrote:

> Andy writes...
>
> snip...
>
> >The best thing I can say about the whole trip is that I'm psyched
> >again....

> Oh no!!!  The mild mannered Mr. Mace has gone psychotic on
> us.....lookout!!
>
> Seriously Andy...wonderfull post!!

Thanks, Tom!

> Cheers!
> Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
> '74, '77 Spits
>
> P. S.  Would you care to borrow *my* Spit for a week or two? There's a
> couple of details that could use some attention.  Is your dremel tool
> still working?  :-)

Hey, bring it on over. I'm ready. Got the new oil seal in the timing
cover (is there any other way aside from the "use the starter to bang
your socket handle against the frame repeatedly until the crankshaft nut
breakes free" method). During the process I suffered a very mild attack
of Shipwright's Disease, but I was able to control it after cleaning up
and repainting only the timing cover, crankshaft pulley and nut. Looks
pretty nice, actually, even though the rest of the engine could use the
same treatment someday.

All that's left now is to reset valve clearances and replace the valve
cover gasket. I've done the minor tuneup, brake adjustment and
lubrication of various bits, and the car feels MUCH BETTER, thank you.

Best part is that I'll get to keep the car awhile longer, partially to
determine what else needs to be done (I know the steering rack mount
rubbers need replacing, along with possibly a few suspention bushings),
and partially to use whilst the mighty Ford Explorer heads to the shop for
work I'm not equipped to handle. (Let's see: to replace front trailing arm
end bushings, DRILL OUT THE RIVETS that hold the subframe to the
chassis....Egad, man, why didn't they just bolt the whole darned thing on
to begin with, considering that there are some bolts holding it together.)

It'll be tough "making do" with a Spitfire as primary transportation for
a couple of days, but I guess I'll get used to it! ;-)

--Andy