RE:parking brake stuck TR4a

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, maineac <maineac@gateway.net>
Subject: RE:parking brake stuck TR4a
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:13:59 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>ca>
At 01:29 PM 5/24/98 -0700, Malcolm Walker wrote:

>On Sun, 24 May 1998, maineac wrote:
>
>> >up, it clicked on way up but  now won't release. I don't have much room in
>> the
>> >garage to get under the car. What will need to be done to release it?
>>
>> While I don't have a TR4, I do have a TR3, and the hand brake is called a
>> "fly off" brake in the owners manual.  I, too, struggled with the release
>> procedure when I first set the brake on mine.  The secret is that the
>> button on the handle is there only to set the brake, not release it.  To
>> release the brake, just pull up (thumb off of the button!!) and then let
>> go.  I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's sooo British.
>
>I think the TR4A had the handbrake on top of the trans. tunnel.  However
>the TR4 has a handbrake like you mention.  It's not bad, you can train
>your passenger to use it; but it's no good if ya have to grab it in an
>"emergency".
>
>It doesn't lock when you yank it for a reason-- they're expecting you to
>yank it :-)
>
>and for 4A owners-- was the mechanism changed to be more American when the
>handle was moved to the top of the tranny tunnel?  Or do you still have to
>"lift to disengage" the handle?

You still have to lift to disengage. Whenever I have taken the car for
an alignment or inspection or something, in spite of my instructions
the serviceman sits in the car for 5+ minutes, I'm watching, then he
comes back in and asks sheepishly how to get the parking brake off.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L (on the road daily)