Re: Difficult Starting

To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: Difficult Starting
From: Harry Ward <harry.ward@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:30:51 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sumner Weisman wrote:

> I'm going to try this question again.  Last time I didn't state it clearly,
> and some people misunderstood what I was asking.
>
> My TR3-B has always been very hard to start when the engine is cold.  (It
> starts immediately when the engine is hot.)   If I squirt some starting
> fluid into the carbs, it starts right up.  Normally, I have to turn it over
> quite a lot to get it to start, and that's a strain on the starter.   Once
> I do get it started and warmed up, it runs fine -- strong engine.
>
> Here are some of the things I've done to try to improve it:  Crane 700
> electronic ignition.  Sport coil.  (40,000 volts, regapped the plugs to
> 0.035).  New fast idle cam -- the old one was worn.  Retuned carbs per the
> Bently manual.  Set timing the "Moss" way, adjusting for max rpm on idle,
> then backing it off 100 rpm.  (I don't have a timing light).  A tank of
> fresh gas.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas to solve my hard starting problem.  Thanks!
>
> Sumner Weisman
> 62 TR-3B

Greetings Sumner:

Might want to check the manual choke pull adjustment to make sure the
choke is fully engaged in addition to the gas flow supply problem.
I installed a clear in-line fuel filter at the high point just before the
SU carbs.  At least I can see if fuel is pumping into and out of the
filter.
Good Luck:')
H. Ward  TR3A TS54794LO Still Broke