Re: Fw: Difficult Starting

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Difficult Starting
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:51:21 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Fred,

You have been a big help to me over the past couple of months.  Much
appreciated.

First, what I meant about wishing the TR-3 having a real choke was that
most cars have a 'butterfly" that literally "chokes" off some of the air at
the mouth of the carb, giving a richer mixture.  Correct me if I'm wrong
but as far as I can see, all this one does is give it more gas.  I will
check the float housings to see that the grose jets have only one gasket --
I installed them a coupla years ago and don't recall.  Also will check to
see that the arm is bent per your instructions.  I don't believe there is
any gas getting in the oil, it's not diluted.  Please clarify, in simple
terms, what you meant about the jet coming all the way down when I pull the
choke out.  What I don't know about carbs would fill volumes.

The way I start the car cold is this:  1. Yes, I prime the fuel pump to
fill the bowls.
2. I pull the choke all the way out.  3. Turn it over.  For a long time.
Finally, it tries to catch, but doesn't.  Turn it over some more.  Push the
choke in half way.  Turn it over again, and it usually starts running after
a while.  Big strain on battery and starting motor.  I'm unhappy.  The car
is unhappy.

This morning I reassembled the rear brakes after replacing rear pipes and
all three flexible hoses.  I put the woven stainless steel units in from
Moss.  Looks great.  Sometime this weekend I will get someone to pump the
brakes so I can bleed them, and that job is done.  Then I'll start on the
float chambers.

Sumner

----------
> From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
> To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
> Subject: Re: Fw: Difficult Starting
> Date: Friday, May 22, 1998 8:10 PM
>
> Sumner Weisman wrote:
> >
> > Thank You to everybody that quickly answered my call for help on hard
> > starting.  Several people asked additional questions, so here's more
> > information.  From the comments so far I'm beginning to think the carbs
> > need rebuilding.
> >
> > 1. I have installed Grose Jets in the float chambers.  I bent the float
arm
> > to the spacing called for in the instructions.  (Don't recall what it
was.)

> > 2. I know about the manual fuel pump, and have used it.  No help.
> >
> > 3. I have adjusted the choke per the Bentley manual.  The end of the
screw
> > is about 0.030 from the fast idle cam in the "choke off" position.  (I
wish
> > the TR-3 had a real choke!)
> >
> > 4. With these additional facts, can anyone provide further advice?
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
> > > To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> > > Subject: Difficult Starting
> > > Date: Friday, May 22, 1998 7:31 AM
> > >
> > > I'm going to try this question again.  Last time I didn't state it
> > clearly,
> > > and some people misunderstood what I was asking.
> > >
> > > My TR3-B has always been very hard to start when the engine is cold.
(It
> > > starts immediately when the engine is hot.)   If I squirt some
starting
> > > fluid into the carbs, it starts right up.  Normally, I have to turn
it
> > over
> > > quite a lot to get it to start, and that's a strain on the starter.
> > Once
> > > I do get it started and warmed up, it runs fine -- strong engine.
> > >
> > > Here are some of the things I've done to try to improve it:  Crane
700
> > > electronic ignition.  Sport coil.  (40,000 volts, regapped the plugs
> > > 0.035).  New fast idle cam -- the old one was worn.  Retuned carbs
per
> > the
> > > Bently manual.  Set timing the "Moss" way, adjusting for max rpm on
idle,
> > > then backing it off 100 rpm.  (I don't have a timing light).  A tank
of
> > > fresh gas.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate any ideas to solve my hard starting problem.
Thanks!