Re: TR 6 Throttle Linkage adjustment

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, John Reynolds <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR 6 Throttle Linkage adjustment
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:08:57 -0400
John Reynolds writes:

>After tuning up my 71 TR 6 it still didn't perform well.  Lack of get up
>and go, top speed around 65 MPH at 4200 rpm, it just seemed to run out of
>what little "steam" it had.  I had also balanced the carbs and checked the
>adjustment on the throttle linkage which had the 3/32's gap between the
>interconnect lever and top of the tongue.  It ran like a slug.

> I had newly licensed daughter get in the car and press the gas pedal to
>the floor and lo and behold the butterflies were only opening 1/4 of the
>way.  I took the gap out of the interconnect lever and POWER appeared.
>With the play out of the interconnect lever the butterflies now open 1/2
>maybe 2/3's  of the way.  My question is how do I adjust the linkage to
>open the butterflies the full 90 degrees?  Are they supposed to open that
>far? (seems logical to me!)  Why does Bentley call for the 3/32's gap in
>the first place?

The problem is that the throttle pedal is "bottoming out" too soon.  The
throttle linkage running from the lever on the throttle pedal shaft to the
bell crank (under the carbs) is adjustable in length.  If you shorten this
linkage you can gain more throttle pedal movement and recover the throttle
plate movement you desire.  This can compensate for sloppiness in the
linkage joints and pivots and is a "quick and dirty fix" not to be
confused with "fixing it right" but it will keep you on the road and
grinning!

Dave