TR 6 Throttle Linkage adjustment

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR 6 Throttle Linkage adjustment
From: "John Reynolds" <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 17:19:09 -0600
After tuning up my 71 TR 6 it still didn't perform well.  Lack of get up
and go, top speed around 65 MPH at 4200 rpm, it just seemed to run out of
what little "steam" it had.  I had also balanced the carbs and checked the
adjustment on the throttle linkage which had the 3/32's gap between the
interconnect lever and top of the tongue.  It ran like a slug.

 I had newly licensed daughter get in the car and press the gas pedal to
the floor and lo and behold the butterflies were only opening 1/4 of the
way.  I took the gap out of the interconnect lever and POWER appeared.
With the play out of the interconnect lever the butterflies now open 1/2 to
maybe 2/3's  of the way.  My question is how do I adjust the linkage to
open the butterflies the full 90 degrees?  Are they supposed to open that
far? (seems logical to me!)  Why does Bentley call for the 3/32's gap in
the first place?

I've stared at the linkage for some time now trying to figure out how the
limited pedal movement can be translated into opening the butterflies all
the way.  Could I be the victim of a DPO? The linkage is the same as shown
in Bentley and I replaced the pivot bolt and plate to remove play.

Thanks,
John Reynolds
71- TR 6 easily beaten by TR 3's