Re: TR6 overdrive

To: John Duhart <duhart@symbol.com>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 overdrive
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:09:03 -0400
John Duhart  writes:

Hey All,>

> Ya know, I've seen a lot of people asking this question, and I was
>thinking about it this week, and I came to a potentially interesting
>conclusion...  The OD CANNOT engage in reverse, unless you are driving
>at speed!

But at what speed?

I think that the speed required to build up enough pressure to engage
the O/D is a lot lower than you think.  Especially if the oil is cold.

Try this: on a long open space get your car moving at about 6-8 miles
per hour (a speed attainable in reverse) and engage the O/D and see if
it engages.  I bet it will.  If you reverse fast enough and far enough,
and these speeds and distances are not unreasonable, you can destroy
an overdrive.

Dave