"clunk on fast acceleration"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "clunk on fast acceleration"
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 10:53:34 -0700
What a beautiful weekend to go out for drives. The wife and I
just returned from an early evening drive and it was great!

Anyway, have noticed quit some time now (and tonight) that if
I quickly accelerate (off the blocks so to speak) in first and
more pronounced in second, I get a "clunk" which sounds like
it is coming from the driver's side rear wheel well. If I more
conservatively accelerate there is no sound. The sound appears
to me to be as though something is grabbing to engage.

This is the only time the sound occurs and is not heard when I
accelereate from second to third or third to fourth. Mostly in
second, and as I said, only if I'm really coming off the clutch
while accelerating.

Diagnosis(s) please.  Thanks

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA