Re: "clunk on fast acceleration"

To: Peter.Hore@dhs.vic.gov.au
Subject: Re: "clunk on fast acceleration"
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 20:58:51 -0700
Cc: Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter,

Thanks for the answer.  I thought of the backing plate.  When I rebuilt my rear
suspension, I had to repair two of those studs, as the DPO used an air ratchet
remove/replace the axel.  Before disassembly, I used a torque wrench to try to
tighten the nut on one of the "longer" studs, and it got longer without
resistance.  I think the only reason it didn't come out on the DPO was the fact
that the stud pushed the socket off the nut as it was being stripped out of the
trailing arm.

A torque wrench is a very valuable tool for applications like those six studs
holding the rear hubs/backing plates.  26-28 lb-ft isn't very much.

Brian