Re: TR6 Oil Burner

To: karen hakala & tim hutchisen <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Burner
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:02:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, peb3@cornell.edu
On Thu, 14 May 1998, karen hakala & tim hutchisen wrote:

> Thanks to all listers for they're info.This is what the outcome of my
> oil-burner was; Disconnected the oil feed kit that was added prior to
> rebuilding the head and drove it over 100 miles today ,( beautiful day in
>Maine
> today ) ,top down and very little oil burning. Apparently with the feed kit,
> too much oil on the top end. It turned 90000 miles today and never ran better.
> A rebuild will be on the horizon but I think we prolonged it this week. If it
> wasn't for this forum I'd have a motor torn apart (in my livingroom) by now.
> Thanks again to all who responded.
>
> Tim Hutchisen
> CC57787 1971

Here's a tip... when you take the head off next time... you can install
valve guide seal from a Chevy V8. No machining is required and all you
have to do is pop the valve spring off and slip the seal on. I don't have
the specifics on the part - but I'm very sure that it's a valve guide
from a small block V8.

I have heard of others with the external oil feed seeing this excessive
oil consumption. Too much of a good thing, maybe.

Glad you got to drive your car recently - I'm itchy to drive mine, but I
have too many projects going to take a few hours off for a spin. This
weekend I'll get it out for sure.

BTW, I'd still do the leakdown test sometime if I were you...

> "Shine she may but run she must"

Yessa.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |