Re: TR6 Oil Burner

To: hakhutch@megalink.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Burner
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:25:46 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I've seen this a few times. You do a valve job and then the motor starts
burning oil. You've made the head "tight" but the rings are not.

Get a leak down test and see which rings are going. I'll bet you're getting
blowby at the rings.

You want to know this is the case. If you catch this early, you _might_ get
away with just replacing the rings. The reason I mention this is that the
cylinder walls are lubricated by oil catching in the "cross hatch" tiny
scores of the cylinder walls. If your cylinders are worn smooth or the oil
is buring off due to higher temps, then you're not getting any lubrication
there and the wear might be more rapid than it might otherwise be. If
things get really worn in there, your only choice will be to do a real
rebuild and you might have to bore out the cylinders to get everything
"round" and working correctly. If things are really bad, you might even
have to replace the pistons... that's $300 just for the pistons whereas a
"rings only" job will cost considerably less - IF things are not too bad in
there.

Good Luck!
rml
TR6's