Re: New Manufacture Engine Components

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: New Manufacture Engine Components
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:56:31 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 18:30 12/05/98 -0600, Robert wrote:

>> Now, if you were talking about making a cross flow head like the
>> LeMans Spitfires used.... but I'll bet you'd be very hard pressed to
>> get enough people interested to cough up money and wait 6 months to
>> a year to an unproven untested part... even though it would be a
>> very kool part....
>
>Cross flow is a distinct possibility.
>As far as unproven or untested.  This same company makes engine heads
>for the major US automotive manufacters.   I would think that gives
>them a respectable track record.
>>
>> It'd be hard to justify the dollars involved...

Start your flame thrower pilot-lights...

Don't take this personally, but I'm frequently appalled by the tight-wallet
attitudes towards your cars, that some of you Yanks. Down Under, we pay 2 to
3 times as much for our Triumphs and parts for them. You're living in
paradise, and I in envy.

I've heard of swap meets in southern California where you put parts on a
scale and pay by the pound!

I recently spent all my savings on a 'brand new' Dolomite Sprint cylinder
head from Rimmer Bros. At $2,000, it's a lot (and my old one isn't even
finished yet), but they stopped making them in 1976. (NB A fairly-recent
model, 6-cyl Ford head costs $4,000, down here.)

Read any book on high-performance, and the author will surely mention that
the more you spend, the more you get. A cross-flow head for a Spitfire would
be brilliant, and if it cost 1/3 or 1/4 of what you paid for the car, that's
because you got a great deal (relative to what enthusiasts in some other
countries have to pay) on the car!

Now, excuse me while I hose myself with CO2 foam ...

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia