Re: New Manufacture Engine Components

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New Manufacture Engine Components
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:30:27 -0600
Hi Robert,

> I agree that the cost per unit is relatively low for a casting...
> but look at the numbers: if you made 500 cylinder heads at $325 ea.,
> that comes out to > $150k. That's a lot of dough!

The $325 mentioned was the selling cost to the distributors
(TRF,Moss,etc).  The profit tothe head manufacter is already in that
figure.

> Second, you need to look at the other factors. They made many many
> Spitfires. It'll be a long time before all those parts are used
> up... a long time indeed. And a used Spitfire head costs what -
> $150?

True.

> Now, if you were talking about making a cross flow head like the
> LeMans Spitfires used.... but I'll bet you'd be very hard pressed to
> get enough people interested to cough up money and wait 6 months to
> a year to an unproven untested part... even though it would be a
> very kool part....

Cross flow is a distinct possibility.
As far as unproven or untested.  This same company makes engine heads
for the major US automotive manufacters.   I would think that gives
them a respectable track record.

> It'd be hard to justify the dollars involved...

That depends on what you're really looking for.  The one think I don't
remember off hand is whether that was a head with valves or without.
I honestly don't know or else can't remember.

> I guess that's why some of the 'Mericun classics are so easy to
> restore. GM probably made more cars in a day than all TR triumphs
> were built in total (over  a 30 year span too!). I have to admit
> that it is funny to go to a classic car show and have guys with a
> Camaro tell you haw rare their model is... "Yeah, this here Z28 is
> real rare - they made less than 10,000 on 1969."

I must admit that is rather strange!!  I've had similiar experiences.

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame painted, now suspension)