Re: Another bodywork question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Another bodywork question
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:49:03 GMT
On 8 May 1998, Dr T. Dafforn wrote:

> I've seen, during the restoration how water seems to get under filler
> somehow and rots the metal from the inside...

Correct.

Applying filler to bare metal will make it stick, but small cracks in the
paint on top may easliy cause havoc - filler is in fact quite a
hygroscopic material.

> I don't want this to happen..
> So I was wondering wether its is worth painting zinc rich primer over the
> area before the filler was added, to protect the metal..
> Will this prevent the filler from sticking???

To a certain extent, yes. It will not stick as good as to bare metal.

> or am i just being too paranoid about rot?

No - that is simply not possible.

Using filler is something of a loose-loose situation. It really only works
for in very  thin layers on panels that aren't suspect to rust anyway.
There are fillers with am imherent high content of zinc, they may perhaps
help a bit.

The best way of handling this is old fashioned lead. Not as difficult as
it might look, either.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway