Re: V8's vs. straight-6's

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: V8's vs. straight-6's
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 10:45:50 -0700
Cc: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au, suchak@mediaone.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS wrote:

> In a message dated 98-05-07 21:50:39 EDT, mdporter@rt66.com writes:
>
> << From one standpoint, the V8 has a quite short
>  crankshaft for the number of cylinders, and therefore will have less
>  beam deflection and presumably less weight >>
>
> Mike,
>
> Just for the record, a TR6 crank weighs 63 pounds.  A Ford V8 crank weighs 40
> pounds (You didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway -- a TR6 bare block weighs
> 134 pounds vs 127 for an iron Ford V8 block).

Actually, I did know that (you told everyone the last time there was a
discussion on engine-swapping, I believe <g>). The only point about V8
crankshaft weight was that it was relatively high for the length,
because of the counterweighting required for a 4-plane crank, as
compared to a 2-plane.

No argument that the Triumph cranks of that era are heavy. Some of that
may be due to Triumph not adopting much newer casting technologies
(staying with what they knew) or it may be something about the design
which Triumph knew well and none of the rest of us do. <g> The
counterweights are considerable on the TR6 crank, no doubt. Part of it
may be the crankshaft's length, along with a four-bearing, instead of a
seven bearing, design. With crank pairs between bearings, it likely has
to be much beefier, and the main journals have to be larger as well (for
adequate support area, because there are fewer of them), increasing the
overall weight. But, this design is common to Triumphs, right back to
the engine family which was used for TR2-3-4s. Big cranks with cranks
pairs between mains.

> << BTW, what's the
> modelling software you mention? Widely available?
>
> I want a copy!!!!  Where can I get one, Allen?

Dan, I just went to amazon.com, and here's the search results from them:

                        Your Search Results
                        for: the title words include "design of
machinery" and                  the author(s) are like "norton"

                        4 items are shown below.

                        Design of Machinery : An Introduction to the
Synthesis                       and Analysis of
                        Mechanisms and Machines (McGraw-Hill Series
in                      Mechanical Engineering)
                             Robert L. Norton / Hardcover / Published
1998
                             (Not Yet Published)

                        Design of Machinery : An Introduction to the
Synthesis                       and Analysis of
                        Mechanisms and Machines
                             Robert L. Norton / Hardcover / Published
1991
                             Our Price: $72.00 (Special Order)

                        Design of Machinery : An Introduction to the
Synthesis                       and Analysis of
                        Mechanisms and Machines (McGraw-Hill Series
in                      Mechanical Engineering)
                             Robert L. Norton / Hardcover / Published
1991
                             Our Price: $51.95 (Special Order)

                        Design of Machinery/Book and Disk
                             Robert L. Norton / Hardcover / Published
1992
                             Our Price: $85.00 (Special Order)

Cheers, Dan.

--