Re: Another bodywork question

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Subject: Re: Another bodywork question
From: "Don J. Howard" <dhoward@jht.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 13:23:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Paint adheres to plastic better than to lead, or to solder, which is
what it really is.  All of the major automobile producers use plastic
fillers now.  I owned my TR 3A for more than twenty years, when much to
my surprise, I discovered that it had once had a bolt on luggage rack.
Sometime during its past the bolt holes had been filled with plastic,
and plastic which was inferior to what we have today.  The only reason I
discovered this was, I had the trunk lid stripped.  The stripper told me
that the holes had been filled with plastic filler.  Well I fixed that I
proceded to fill them "The Proper Way" with body solder and my trusty
torch did a beautiful job.  I blended the body solder with a body file,
and refinished the panel properly.  About 6 months later the body solder
plugs expanded making the presence of a removed luggage rack painfully
obvious.  I refinished the deck lid again.  The plastic filler I used on
the rear valance at the same time as the solder is still fine.  This was
6 years ago.  Maybe the Florida sun?  I f you dispute this look at an
unrestored XK120/140, they had a lot of lead on them.  Body filler will
stick very well to Ditzler DP Epoxy Primer, and DP STICKSSSS!

Cheers, Don J. Howard