Re: V8's vs. straight-6's

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: V8's vs. straight-6's
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 22:13:43 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Allen Nugent wrote:

> As to why 6's last longer - do they really? If so, I don't know why.

I think that any engine will last long if properly maintained.  The guy I
work for has an 88 Suzuki Forsa (3-cylinder) that just passed the 300,000
km mark; celebrated by replacing the clutch and the timing belt...!

This engine gets religious oil changes and regular spark plugs.

As for reliability of straight-sixes... my Dad's car ('80 Plymouth Volare)
230ci slant-six in it is still rumbling along after excessive abuse.
Sure, it spits coolant now and then (more bar's leaks!) and burns oil when
pointed downhill but it drags itself into town every day; 124 km round
trip.  It's broke a coupla times, but nothing major... I think the next
thing to go will be the timing chain, and that's the end of the rope.

Back to the Triumph side of things, I hopefully will soon be cranking over
the TR4 engine to wake it from its winter slumber.  Should I change the
oil after I start it or before?  I was thinking the latter would be better
as the oil would have had a chance to get warmed up and carry away any
gucky bits that may have collected inside the works.

-Malcolm