Re: V8's vs. straight-6's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V8's vs. straight-6's
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:53:17 +1000 (EST)

Michael,

At 19:50 7/05/98 -0700, you wrote:

>In the simplest terms, you're absolutely right, Allen. BTW, what's the
>modelling software you mention? Widely available?

My friend took it back - I'll have to ask him. I think the author is Robert
Norton, and the title is "Design of Machinery".

Among other things, the accompanying software calculates dynamic bearing
loads and shaking forces, based on the engine configuration and balancing.
It's meant as an educational tool, rather than a full-on design tool,
although my friend and I have been attempting to use it for the latter
(unfortunately, it won't handle the crankshaft config. we want to use!)

It's kind of fun to put in the data for your Triumph engine and see what
comes out, although you have to measure or guess at some things yourselves
(eg. moment-centre of the conn rods).

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia