Re: TR6 fuel injection vs. carbs setups

To: <dstauffa@csc.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 fuel injection vs. carbs setups
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 21:12:38 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi, Dave

> There is a difference in the springs inside the distributor.  These are
the
> little ones that control the advance.

Wasn't wrong there

> Also the PI differential has a 3.45:1 ratio vs. 3.7:1 for carb models.

Wasn't wrong there either

> If you really want to get into it, the fuel lines and petrol tank are
> competely different.  The PI has the petrol outlet going into the boot so
> it can flow into fuel filter bolted to the wall of the spare tire well.
> Whereas the carb tank line is behind the carboard panels.  Then you have
an
> electric fuel pump bolted onto the back side of the left rear wheel well
> from there you have a line going to a pressure value sitting to the left
of
> the fuel tank.  From there you have one line going up front to the
metering
> unit and another going back into the tank.  At the metering unit you have
> return line going back to the tank.  Lot's of plumbing on this car.  I
had
> to redo all mine plus modify a carb petrol tank because my original had
> more rust in it than the Titanic!

As Maurice Chevalier said, "Ah, yes - I remember it well." What you have
omitted to mention is the warble of the fuel pressure relief valve (which
shouldn't have, but did) the fact that early PI's didn't like altitude in
the Alps owing to a lack of air density compensation devices, leaks around
the pipe connections in the boot on the way to the metering unit, the low
pressure return which often didn't and excess fuel slopping around in the
spare wheel well.

Apart from those things - and a few others like wobbly diffs and clonky
half shafts, it was a lot of fun.

Oh, it sounded different too. The carb car had a muted growl and was
slower, the PI had a rasping bark and was a lot faster.

John Mac