Steering Wheels

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Steering Wheels
From: Terry Thompson <tethompson@teligentinc.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 22:16:08 -0400
My '76 spitfire's steering wheel is getting poorly. The black (leather?)
grips are cracked
and the steel spokes are rusty.  And so rather than wear gloves to keep
from giving
myself tetnus, I'd like to get a new steering wheel.   Since I'm a bit
tall for my Spitfire (6'3") I'm thinking a smaller steering wheel might
be a good idea (so I don't have to twist myself into a
pretzel to get under the wheel).

Does anyone have any good suggestions (or comments of any sort) on any
of the steering wheels on the market today. I've noticed that most of
the steering wheels require adaptors, don't these elongate the steering
column to a large degree (some of those adaptors look like they're 5 or
6 inches long)?

Any comments would be appreciated.
-Terry Thompson
'76 TRIUMPH Spitfire