Re: Steering Wheels

To: tethompson@teligentinc.com
Subject: Re: Steering Wheels
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:25:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I bought a Grant Signature wheel - 13" diameter. I found it on sale for
around $75 a month or so ago. Note: you need an adapter - that's another
$40 or so. So, for around $100, you get a new wheel.

The Grant Signature wheel uses a 5 bolt pattern to hold the wheel top the
adapter. If you want a six bolt pattern there are other choices - like Momo
and so forth. FWIW, I'm pretty sure those wheels will bolt up to the center
adapter that you car probably has - I know the TR6 uses a six bolt adapter
thingie...

Note: on my TR6, the adapter places the wheel about 2.5 inches closer to my
chest then the stock wheel and the stock adapter. This is because the
replacement wheel has a "dish" to it - the center of the wheel is about 2.5
inches in from the rim. You can probably adjust the wheel away from you,
but an interesting benefit of this is that steering input is not only
quicker (because of the smaller wheel) but leverage is better because the
wheel is closer to you.

Now I feel like a Nascar driver (Hi John!) when I'm driving around!

regards,
rml
TR6's being _driven_