Re: Never been there, Never done that

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Never been there, Never done that
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:20:22 GMT
 Brian Neuschwander wrote:

>> My MKII Spit is bondoed (make that BONDOED), sanded, primed and ready to
>> paint.  This is all new to me.
>>
>> 1.  What is the easiest paint to work with.  I will be painting it
>> bright yellow?
>> 2.  What are a couple of basic application techniques that might serve
>> me well?
>> Don't laugh.  No matter how it comes out it will be an improvement!
>>
>> BTW, quality tools are great.  I bought a welder, body grinder, Bosch
>> two hand variable speed orbital sander (Best tool in the shed!) for this
>> job.  Will be getting the spray stuff next.
>> --
>> Brian W. Neuschwander

Hi Brian!  Lacquer would be by *far* the easiest stuff to use for a
beginner but it might not be available where you live.

Second choice would be acrylic enamel which was OEM on your Spit.

Dupont Centari is one good brand....others are fine too.

Rather than tell you how to paint, <I'm still learning after 20 years>
I'll tell you the few things about spraying enamel that I didn't
understand until recently and this made all the difference.  Do
everything the book<s> say and then:

*Spray only when the air temp matches the range on the thinner.

*Do not spray in the sun.

*As you spray the car, watch to see that the paint "liquifies" as it
hits the surface.  If you move too fast, or hold the gun too far away
you won't see this happen and the result is the classic orange peel.
Hesitate too long, of course, and you have the classic run. :-(
Air temp, air temp, air temp...make sure this is right and you'll get
the best chance at good gloss and no runs.

* Don't spray a second coat until you can touch a masked area and it
feels sticky and not "wet"

*  Get a steel panel from an old washing machine.  On the day you
intend to spray the car, spray this piece only minutes before.  Then
decide if you want the same finish on the car where it'll be a heck of
a lot harder to re-do.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits