RE: tonneau cover

To: "'Robert Laing'" <roblaing@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject: RE: tonneau cover
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 20:20:34 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Robert,

I unfortunately have almost no experience with a tonneau. This winter I
managed to find a factory tonneau from a fellow in Quebec. When I
received it, I tried to fit it on my car but could not get the cover to
stretch enough to fasten the rear snaps. I believe this is due to the
cover not being used in many years (he bought it in 1986, never used it)
and the less than summery temperatures. I plan to wait until a warm day
in the spring when I can leave the cover in the sun to warm up and
"expand". Then I will try to fit it again.

Since it is a factory cover, the snaps are all pre-installed in the
correct locations. It's my understanding that aftermarket covers (ie.
Robbins and maybe other brands) require the buyer to install the snaps
when new. This includes making the holes in the right locations.
Although not a daunting task, I am sure it takes some practice to get it
right so I decided to search for a factory cover instead. Plus it was
relatively inexpensive compared to a new one (I paid $188 Canadian
including shipping).

One thing the new ones don't have which the factory ones have is a strap
which runs from the mid-point of the zipper down to the passenger seat.
On the seat is (usually) a male "lift-the-dot" fastener onto which the
end of the strap attaches. This prevents the cover from "flapping" when
driving with the passenger side covered. By the way, does your passenger
seat have such a snap? It would be mounted on the left (ie. middle of
the car) side of the passenger seat frame somewhere in the vicinity of
the parking brake handle. Let me know as mine does not have the snap
(actually it is a peg) and I wonder if any 76's had it.

Hopefully this gives you some info. I am also posting this to the list
in case any other listers have opinions about tonneau covers, especially
those who have used them a lot.

Good luck,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)